Wixom Lake Lowering 13 Feet
Beginning the week of February 21, the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy (EGLE) will lower the water level on the Tobacco River side of Wixom Lake 13 feet.
On Nov. 19, EGLE issued an emergency permit for this work which allows the Tobacco River spillway to be lowered, grading and stabilization of the dam and river channels, removal of fill and sediment, and redirecting the Tittabawassee River flow away from the dam’s breach. This is being done to reduce the risk of the Tobacco Dam failing and sending a surge of water down Sanford Lake where millions of dollars have been spent on flood recovery efforts.
Being on the lake/ice or lakebottom while Wixom Lake is lowered will be dangerous. The ice will break putting ice fisherman at great risk.
The water level will return once the Edenville Dam is rebuilt and Wixom Lake is filled to its legal lake level (2025-2026).
The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Natural Resources Conservation Service is covering 75 percent of the cost of the project while the remaining 25 percent will come from funds allocated by the legislature for dam work.
Comments are closed.
UPDATES SENT TO YOUR INBOX
Fill out this form to subscribe to receive news and updates.
Please select why you're interested in receiving updates.
You have successfully joined our subscriber list.